Friday, September 9, 2011

TAYE Drum review

Hi there..
I've been around the block for quite some time in the drumming gemunity..I was 9 in 1970, and that's when I started playing drums.Well, 36 and a half years and a zillion drum sets later, I'm still going strong. I worked for a major drum manufactuer from 1998 til this year-2006. I was in charge of custom drums.Believe me..I've heard every type of wood drum, and geposite shells there could be.
Anyway..This past January, I had the notion to fly out to Los Angeles, CA to the winter NAMM show. I personally needed a vacation, and was in search of yet a new toy..I looked at everybody out there..There truly are some remarkable tubs out there.I, being who I was, was sick and tired of hearing about custom this and custom that.That's the wave of drumming though.
I stopped in to see my buddy of many years Brian at the Taye drum booth. I , again,knowing what I know...blah blah blah about drums, proceeded to nit pick these bad boys..I was impressed. Very impressed. A couple weeks later, I called Brian and asked if he could put a set together for me in my sizes, and in a sick lime/lemom/lime stain burst over some birch shells.Of course he said yes..He didn't say.."Um..I have to check on that and get back to you" crap..It was YES-no hesitation.Of course being the weenie I can sometimes be..I asked, "OK, how long til I see these? 8 months? He laughed and said 8 weeks.
This I had to see..So for 7 weeks I"m wondering what will be so stinkin' different about these drums over all my zillion other ones.Well, week 8 arrives and I get a phone call from California..My drums are ready to ship ..Again...IMPRESSED..Right on the money-8 weeks as promised .About 4 days later I have yet another set of toys in my possession.I pulled them out of the box and gasp..Again..NOTHING in the drum biz impresses me anymore.These drums were insane..I proceeded to set them up,and dial in the stock heads..You know..I'm thinking..I'm going to have to put new heads on these cause stock heads always sound like crap..
OK..So I sit down, for the test drive..I was BLOWN AWAY..Nothing is suppose to blow me away in this stage of the game..I've seen it all, designed it all, and played it all...I was so blown away I wrote gepanyhead, Ray Ayotte that day ! The stock heads called "Dynation" heads are remarkable.I have the coated one plys..I didn't even dent them..and I play HARD.The drums I bought are the Taye "Originals". They make a whole line of smoking drums.From professional to entry level, and the hardware is just as awesome as the drums.
I didn't have to write this..I'm telling you from my heart and through my experience...You MUST check these out before you buy another kit.Check them out on the web.I have already bought yet another set in their Rock Pro line in Oyster black.The hardware and mounts are some of the coolest in the biz guys..Don't take my word for it..Go download the catalog and start reading-then go to your nearest authorized dealer and smack these things..
God bless to all.....
Carl P.

No comments:

Post a Comment