Friday, September 9, 2011

Inexpensive Party or Holiday Favor Idea - Party Poppers

Inexpensive Holiday Favor Idea - Party Poppers

When my children were little, I was a room mother for both of them. I was constantly looking for newwaysto present old ideas. Many of the things I learned carried over to life outside of school. This Party Popper idea is one of those that can be used in many ways.

It can be used for Halloween as an alternative to the old treat bags.
It can be used as an alternative to the usual Birthday PartyFavor bag.
It can be used as a fun alternative to traditional gift giving.
It can be used as party favors for school events, like Christmas.
It can be sold as a Grab Bag alternative at school fund raisers.
The uses are limited only by your imagination. For my illustrations, I made a treat Popper that could be used for Halloween although I used colors that are traditionally associated with Christmas. I didn't have any black ribbon to go with my orange tissue paper. But, I think you'll get the idea.
What you will need to make your Party Popper:

Toilet Paper Rolls or Paper Towel Rolls
Tissue Paper
Curling Ribbon
Stuffing- Can Be Whatever You Want

Typically, I use toilet paper rolls for this project. However, you can acgeplish the same thing by cutting paper towel rolls in half. Also, if you want to, you can use the whole paper towel roll, especially if you need a longer tube to hold bigger items, like decorative pencils.
To begin, remove all excess paper from your toilet paper rolls. It is okay if there is some still attached. The more you are able to remove, the smoother your Popper will be.

Once you have done this, fill your tube with whatever items you choose. You can use candy, plastic rings, small super bounce balls, coins, pencils, erasers, or just about anything that will fit. As aneat addition, you can add fun shaped, multi-coloredconfetti.

Now, take two standard size pieces of different color tissue paper and cut them in half. The sheets I used were ~ 2' 2'. Next, take the two pieces and lay them, one on top of the other. Stagger them a bit so that there is about a 1" offset. This allows both colors to show once it is rolled up.

Now, lay your filled roll on the edge of the paper at mid point.Pull the edge of the paperup over the side of the roll.

Next, roll it until all the paper is on the roll.

Pinch the paper at the ends of the roll. Now, you will be able to let go of it and it will hold while you get your ribbon ready.

Use as many pieces, sizes,and colors of curling ribbon as you like. It is entirely up to you. I have used two in this example. Tie your ribbon around the paper at the tube ends. You should only have to do one knot and it should hold. Use your scissors to curl the ribbon.

If you would like to, you can trim the paper ends to whatever shape and effect you desire.

And there you have it... a Party Popper. Inexpensive, quick,and fun.

Thanks for reading my guide. I hope you foundit to be helpful.

I reserve the right to be human and err. Nothing here was written to intentionally misinform or otherwise mislead. 2006 Trina Hoaks

No comments:

Post a Comment