Friday, September 9, 2011

CNC Router, Gcode, CNC Milling Machine Stepper DIY

CNC machines offer a great utility to the machinist, artist, sign maker or anyone wishing to automate a machining process. I needed a CNC machine to make a rapid prototype pattern for my foundry. Faced with a large expense I studied the CNC world and designed my own machine very inexpensively. CNC uses a geputer to send signals to a stepper motor controller which tells the stepper motor which direction to turn and how many steps to take. The motor is connected to the drive mechanism of the router or mill in the X,Y and Z axes. Some machines use servo motors and some have more than 3 axes. Between the geputer and the controller I place an optical interface to protect the geputer. It was inexpensive to build and keeps me from worying about damaging the geputer.The machine control program uses Gcode which is basically the X, Y and Z position the tool is to have and it moves from one position the the next according to the points you specify. Graphics programs can be used to draw the tool path which is then converted to Gcode.If you can plot on a piece of graph paper you can write Gcode.The machine control programs range from free, which is what I used, to the very expensive. The electronics likewise can be very inexpensive if you build your own to very expensive off the shelf.I have used my machine extensively and have been amazed at how little I spent, and if you are a resourceful scrounger and are willing to scavange old copier or printers for steppers and build some of your own geponents you can do it for very little.I used the same principles to convert my milling machine to CNC for very little money.I was so pleased with the results and just how simple it all is I wrote two books on CNC machines and sell them here on okay.I have sold over 200 of these books and have had a great response from buyers reflecting on how realistic it is and just how inexpensively the machines can be built. Of course you can scale a CNC machine to be as big or small as you wish to meet your needs.No longer do you have to buy new when you can do it yourself for a tiny fraction of the cost.There is no need to spend big bucks on software or parts if you are resourceful.The advent of CNC machines allows for greater precision and speed than ever before. Once you have a achine running, you can attend to other tasks while it produces your product.I have three machines operating on the principles outlined in my books.Shop around, look for good deals on okay for stepper motors and controllers, or build your own.I have been able to build a new 3 axes controller for about $60.Read all you can and subscribe to user groups involving CNC to help learn how others have don it.I sell my CNC DIY books right here on okay, just look under CNC in books.This CNC business is not very hard to understand or build, just take one step at a time, read all you can, find a good manual and try building a small simple machine first, use free software and get used to how things work. Then expand to even bigger and greater projects.Once you have it all done, make your products or services available for others.I have enjoyed selling my books on okay and helping others get started on CNC projects.Good luck on your CNC project. You can do it!Thank you

No comments:

Post a Comment