Thursday, December 22, 2011

tms full face motorcycle helmet- my experience

I purchased a full face motorcycle helmet from TMS without reading the reviews on it. It arrived on a friday night withan extremely bad chemical odor (you could smell it from 2 feet away and too strong to actually put it on. I figured (incorrectly) that putting it in front of a fan on high for 3 days would help. On the following monday, I called TMS and their only solution was send it back and they'd send me a replacement or refund. If I'd have gotten a replacement it might have been fine (or maybe it wouldn't) but sinceI needed the helmet for an upgeing ride I thought I'd try to fix it on my own before sending it back for a refund.
Aftergoogling for a solution I discovered that okay had a review section, and someone else had the sameproblem. Ifound a solution on line (taking the removable insides out, wiping down the inside and cleaning the insides with dish soap and water, then air drying it out. (twice) followedby more high speed fan airing for24 more hours. It reduced the odor to whatI thoughtwas a safe level (but then I could be wrong). No sickness or headaches, even after wearing it on the bike almost all day.
I rated the purchase as satisfactory because TMS offered a refund or replacement, and for the excellent price it was worth it to try to salvage it, gepared to sending it back and going to the local MC shop to pay $100-150 for something I'd only occasionally use in cold weather.( I normally wear an open face)
This was only my experience, yours may be totally different. I like mine (now). Hope this review helps someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment