Thursday, December 22, 2011

Replacing IPod Nano 2nd Generation battery

I have an IPod Nano 2nd Generation that I had not used for a long time and wanted to use it while jogging. The battery would not charge when connected to a powered Belkin 7 port USB Hub. After checking out several shops I Googled, I found that sending the IPod to replace the battery would cost at least $100.00 including shipping. I watched several videos on UTube showing how to disassemble the Nano and replace the battery. It didn't seem all that difficult. I ordered a 2nd Gen. battery listed for $7.50 on okay by a vendor from Hong Kong.
The battery arrived quickly and seemed to be of high quality. The the next thing I learned was that the job required a size 000 Phillips screwdriver. I had two sets of small screwdrivers with one size 0, but no size 00 or 000 (the next smaller sizes). I found and ordered a set of Phillips on Amazon.ge containing a 000, a 00, a 0, and a size 1(each increasing in size) for $12.50. I've now spent a total of $20.00I took the Nano apart using a bright light and a magnifying glass and some help from my grandson only to discover the battery was soldered to the board and I was in way over my head. I have done soldering for years, but never on anything this small. I put it back together again....the screws are so small that even this is no job for a novice, but we were successful. My grandson suggested that even though the Belkin USB hub is powered by 110 volts, it may not be getting enough voltage to the IPod's battery. I plugged it into my Macbook Pro and left it charging overnight. It was fully charged this morning. My motivation for writing this is to help anyone thinking of attempting to replace the battery in an IPod, IPod touch, or IPhone. These were not made to be worked on by an amateur. I wish someone would have given me this advice before I tried replacing it and hope this helps you. If this has helped, check the [YES] box below. Just a retired old man
trying to pass on useful information.

No comments:

Post a Comment